1 Kgs 4:1-34
Today, we learnt further of the great wisdom God gave Solomon, and also the riches of his kingdom. A very high level of structure and organization was show in how the land was administered under his reign. The land also enjoyed great peace under his rule, every man dwelt safely under his vine and under his fig tree. I will just quickly highlight some of the things seen in this fourth chapter:
- He had princes who helped with his administration
- He had twelve officers over all Israel who provided supplies for his household, one each month of the year
- He had two daughters Taphath and Basmath, who were married to two of his officers
- He received gifts from far and wide, from Philistines through to Egypt
- In a day, his household provision was thirty measures of flour, sixty measures of meal, ten fat oxen, twenty other oxen from the field, and a hundred sheep. – these are apart from harts, roebucks, fallow deer and fatted fowl
- He had forty thousand stall of horses and twelve thousand horsemen
In terms of wisdom, Solomon’s exceeded those of the men of the east country and Egypt. Notable names mentioned were Ethan the Ezrahite, Heman, Chalcol and Darda, all sons of Mahol. Solomon spoke up to three thousand proverbs and wrote up to one thousand and five songs. Ge also spoke of many living things from plants to animals, both great and small. Many people came from all over the world to hear of Solomon’s wisdom.
God indeed granted Solomon’s request for an understanding heart, and as we could see also blessed him with riches, glory and honour. The same God is faithful unto all who called upon him, and he will grant our requests according to his will when we ask him. Are you ready to ask and receive of him?
Some verses to remember
vs 21: And Solomon reigned over all kingdoms from the river unto the land of the Philistines, and unto the border of Egypt: they brought presents, and served Solomon all the days of his life.
vs 25: And Judah and Israel dwelt safely, every man under his vine and under his fig tree, from Dan even to Beersheba, all the days of Solomon.
vs 34: And there came of all people to hear the wisdom of Solomon, from all kings of the earth, which had heard of his wisdom.